Invasive variable milfoil was identified in Great Pond in 2009. An effort initiated by the Belgrade Lakes Association that today includes the 7 Lakes Alliance and other groups works to keep invasive plants from spreading to other parts of Great Pond and to other lakes, and to help manage the infestation.
7 Lakes Alliance also heads a watershed-wide Courtesy Boat Inspection (CBI) program, as well as an Invasive Plant Patrol effort (often referred to as Plant Paddles).
Friends of Messalonskee manages a program to control variable milfoil in Messalonskee Lake.
What you can do:
- Clean: Check for and remove all plants from boats, motors, trailers and fishing equipment before and after launch.
- Take care: Activities in an infestation -- such as fishing or boating -- can create fragments and spread the plants to other areas.
- Drain: live wells, bilge water and engine water away from the waterbody.
- Dry: any gear that comes into contact with the water.
- Know: your lakes and avoid areas with known infestations.
Contact 7 Lakes Alliance with questions at 207-495-6039. For a listing of invasive plants, click on the attached PDF at the top of this page.